Best Ever Gluten-free Scone Recipe
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour (can substitute brown rice flour, millet flour, hazelnut flour)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-inch piece fresh, grated ginger or 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (and a bit more for sprinkling on top of scones)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup coconut oil or canola/coconut oil blend
- Grated orange peel from 2 oranges or 2 teaspoons ground orange peel
- 1/2 cup your favorite dried fruits, chopped or cut with scissors (dried figs, apricots, dates, cherries, fresh or dried blueberries, dried currants or raisins, or dried apples)
- Another 1/2 cup of either fruits or nuts
- 2 jumbo or large eggs
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk (and a bit more for brushing on top)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- Parchment paper or pan-lining paper
Whisk together flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Work the coconut oil into the flour mixture by hand until only pea-sized coconut oil bits remain. Or use canola/coconut oil blend and add with wet ingredients below.
Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until frothy. Add honey and fresh ginger. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. The dough will be very sticky.
Add the fruits and nuts until blended.
By hand mold about a hands-full of scone mixture. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or pan-lining paper. This will ensure quick clean up and no sticking. Pat down on top.
Lightly brush buttermilk on top of each scone. Sprinkle cinnamon on top (optional).
Place baking sheet, uncovered in the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven onto a cooling rack and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Allow to fully cool (several hours) before placing in plastic container.
Makes about 10-11 scones.
Enjoy! And be sure to experiment with your own additions and have fun with this recipe!!!